Townsend Public Schools
Sign Language Interpreter 2021-2022
Job Details:Sign Language Interpreter (2021-2022)
Reports to:Special Education Teacher and Building Principal
Start Date:August 23, 2021
Compensation:$15-$25/ hour negotiable. Benefits package. Paid vacation and sick leave
Responsible one deaf/ hard of hear students’ accessibility to education. Performs simultaneous interpretation of spoken language and sign language for student within and outside of the classroom environment. Interpret classroom instructions and provide re-teaching and other academic and classroom support.
Essential Job Duties:
- Interpret/translate expressively and receptively for at least one deaf/ hard of hearing student in all aspects of the educational process.
- Assess and understand individual student’s communication abilities and styles to ensure accurate interpretation as related to the student’s age, cognitive level, personality, learning style and language competencies.
- Reteach information in classroom for content understanding.
- Interpret extra-curricular activities including: sports, drama, music and school wide programs.
- Interpret in all student services areas.
- Work cooperatively with all members of the educational team including general education teachers and special education teachers.
- Establish in conjunction with the classroom teacher, a physical setting within the classroom for appropriate communication interaction.
- Prepare for interpreting assignments by studying content areas, vocabulary, lesson plans and outlines.
- Teach social and communication skills appropriate for participation in mainstream hearing environments.
- Provide ongoing assessment of students language abilities/ uses (ASL and English), cognitive, physical and emotional level needs.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and correct use of English language and use of specific and technical vocabulary.
- Extensive knowledge of manual communication.
- Advanced knowledge of the theories of child development to initiate and maintain positive rapport with students served.
- Knowledge of technology as related to job functions.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral instructions.
- Completion of an accredited Interpretation Education Program
- Endorsement or certification: Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)/ Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA).
- Proficiency in all systems along the sign language spectrum from ASL to Signing Exact English.
- Bachelor’s Degree in ASL/ English Interpretation, Education, Linguistics or related field.
- Montana Driver’s License or ability to obtain license within three months of hire.
- Adhere to the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)- National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Code of Professional Conduct.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards:
- Preforms routine classwork.
- Regularly works inside.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
Application accepted starting 04/21/2021
Please submit District Classified Application, letter of application and resume to:
201 N. Spruce Street
Townsend, MT 59644